Thursday 9 August 2007

Police Communication (Updated)

I've returned to my long neglected blog with a new slant. This blog is now mainly about police communication, mainly ;)

Chunky is a Police Sergeant, Betty is a student researching the Police (that's me), Chunky finally learnt what blogs are, having read PC David Copperfield's book, 'Wasting Police Time', but never gets to go on the computer anymore because I'm always on it...

I'd been made aware by Chunky and friends that email use was considered a problem amongst some officers, so for my MSc research I requested that a questionnaire be sent out for the mutual benefit of me as a researcher and the force in question, to help identify and try to remedy the problems and pressures being felt by officers.

Unfortunately my request was declined, partly through my own lack of prior discussion with the force. However, I feel that the comment; "[w]e have to be quite protective given the amount of emails that our staff receive" in the final email I recieved shows to a certain degree that my belief that I could help the force in question has not been considered, whilst simultaneously showing that there is indeed a problem.

I would like to thank all Police Officers who visited this blog's sister wiki Police Communication and completed the questionnaires. The results are now in and the raw percentages are available on the wiki, plus the best comments from Officers. To protect my future research I have decided not to post the full dissertation until a later date.

No comments: