Tuesday 21 August 2007

Acronyms

Just found out Chunky is an ABC SPOC, she knows no-one has time and they're all made up, she remembers the old beeping box, and the pens, barcodes and clipboard. She doesn't remember that I'm not in the Police and have no idea what half of the things she says to me mean!! Well I did get this one actually because of the comments on PC Southwest's post. But the Police are full of acronyms.

The NHS is just as bad. I've changed this slightly but I'm quite sure you could have got a letter to my department just by putting:

MHU
PGH
AUM

on the envelope!

In my induction (how many months after I started!!) they warned us against using too many acronyms. We were told the story of (a different Trust of course) where someone had written DOA and the date in the margin of a patient's notes meaning 'date of admission'. It was an unfortunate nurse who got the call from the relative asking how the patient was doing, to which she broke the news that he was 'dead on arrival'.

No comments: