Tuesday 20 November 2007

Blogging without obligation

Thanks Dickiebo for introducing me to this. It's very interesting with regards to the power of users over their blogs and vice versa.

Elektra states "After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone's blog starting with "I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile." I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation"

Blogs and social software are hailed as giving the user more power over webpages, opening up the possibility for the non-technical to create and maintain sites and to interact with other internet users, but in her post Elektra shows that along with the fame having a 'good blog' brings, it also brings some obligations and expectations, which is in danger of turning and enjoyable hobby into a tying chore, and reducing the quality of posts and thus the blog itself.

So when I don't post for a month it's to keep the quality up...ok?...any takers...

2 comments:

Whichendbites said...

I'm sorry. I noticed that you haven't blogged for a while.

Hope this helps.........perhaps just a little bit anyway.

chunkybetty said...

Ah thanks, but it was a joke about the quality - really!!

I agree with the sentiment of blogging without obligation, which is why I use the logo. It's part of my job to think about the power of users over technology and vice versa, and how this is changing in some ways with the introduction of blogging etc.

I don't ever really feel obligated to blog, though I do hope people wont give up on me when I have a long gap because I'm very busy at the moment what with the PhD and teaching - it's all new to me, but pretty good mainly :)